In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Hermon Historical Society

Hermon School Number 5, Hermon, ca. 1910

Contributed by Hermon Historical Society
MMN Item 22773 Item Details
Hermon School Number 5, Hermon, ca. 1910
MMN Item 22773 Zoom

Description

School Number 5, the Hermon Corner School, was built in 1852 and was in use until 1951. The one-room schoolhouse is located on Billings Road near Route 2. It is presently home of the Hermon Historical Society and museum and the building is on the National Historical Register.

It is one of the 14 original 1st-8th grade schools, each of which was supported by its own district of what is now the town of Hermon. The early schoolhouses were replaced in 1951 by the new Hermon Elementary School building.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.